Anybody know how to build an ark? We may be in the market at the rate this weather is going. It is hot and humid and summer in the Midwest.
Ranch Happenings: Last reminder: if you haven’t already, please RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 6th for the Sunday, July 11th 1pm-7pm open house. Come hang out and feel free to bring a friend, meet other CSA members, swim, see the ranch/animals.
Doors are almost complete and dates are being tentatively set for moving the chickens to the hoop house and tearing down the old coop. As much as we want and need help with the teardown, we can’t quite set a specific date yet but if you’re interested in helping, give Gus a call and see what he has going day to day.
The sheep and two alpacas are HERE!!! (heart emoji) Andy and Barney are the alpaca, and they couldn’t be more docile and interesting to just look at. The sheep are Toby (ram) who is by far the friendliest little guy, Naomi, Ruth, Lamby and Lucy. They all seem to know their names so we will keep them as is. They are warming up to us more every day. The pigs are so curious to get to know them as well, but we’ll keep a fence in between just in case.
Some of us here believe the Betty (black floppy eared sow) is preggers and some of us are not convinced. Boris still seems to be “on vacation” from his duties so we have two new boars coming in any day now. They are still young and from a different bloodline so this makes other females; Lucy, Petunia and Chili, (named with the help of Madilyn Udowitz) eligible to become mommas. While typing this I realized that those beautiful red girls (Lucy and Petunia) will be one year old this Friday!!! Which makes Chili a year old September 9th….I digress.
The new and improved website is coming along and should be live beginning of August. This will make it even easier for folks to find us, order, ask questions and learn about what we do and why.
*Summer Survival Retreat: Gus has teamed up with Mike Vanbeek, former MMA fighter and current owner of Focus Counter Violence in Cedar Lake, IN to offer a super charged weekend vacation with a purpose. A self-protection event right here at the ranch where you will learn to protect yourself and others. For more information type this link into your Facebook search: https://fb.me/e/41yLxAszw
*We will be closed July 14th-19th and July 30th-August 5th for vacations, etc. If we haven’t already temporarily adjusted your pick up/delivery date please watch for an email from us in the near future.
THE KIDS: Kids are good, everything is good, Niko is working hard at adulting (ish) and Nina is volunteering at the Challenger program through Purdue University for young kids to learn about space stuff.
FARMERS MARKETS: Beecher Farmers Market is every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month on Route 1. 625 Dixie Hwy, Beecher IL. (9am-1pm). We serve lunch and as always you can pick up meat and possibly some of Oily Wife Happy Life apothecary items. Lots of food, handmade items, honey and more.
We will also be attending the Cedar Lake Farmers Market the 2nd and 4th Wednesday 3pm-8pm. This market is huge and there’s sure to be something for everyone. Food, music and more. 7408 Constitution Ave Cedar Lake IN. NOTE: We will NOT be attending the July 14th market, FYI.
We are going to attend the Crete Farmers Market at Willard Park July 7th and July 21st. This seems to be a real up and coming market in a beautiful setting.
DOG FOOD: Due to the extreme popularity of dog food, we are offering it as a CSA and currently we are 45 days out for pick up/delivery for new customers. Your dog will thank you. Pricing: Beef- $7.25/lb. Boar- $5.25/lb. Turkey- $5.25/lb
Ready! Set! Eat! Meal
Email your order to email@example.com 3 days in advance of when you need it. We will have it ready for you to pick up between 4PM – 6PM.
Provide Name, Full Address, phone number and email address. We will send you an invoice through quickbooks.
- Full Slab Baby Back Ribs… $65.00*(1 full slab (each slab is 2-3 pounds), 16 ounces of fresh homemade Cole slaw and cornbread)
- Chicken Cacciatore…1/2 PAN…$40.00* (1 pound of spaghetti, 7 pieces of chicken and a container of sauce) FULL PAN…$75.00* (2 pounds of spaghetti, 14 pieces of chicken and a container of sauce)
- SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS, ½ pan…$65.00* (sausage, green peppers and onions prepared Greek style with rice pilaf)
- Greek Chicken…$65.00*(whole chicken with roasted potatoes, carrots and celery)
- Steak Fajitas, ½ pan…$70.00* (grilled steak with sweet peppers and onions)
- Steak Tacos, ½ pan…$85.00 (approx. 40 tacos: comes with Corn and/or flour tortillas, cilantro, onion, homemade salsa).
- Shredded Chicken Taco, ½ pan…$85.00 (approx. 40 tacos: comes with Corn and/or flour tortillas, cilantro, onion, homemade salsa).
- Ground Beef Tacos, ½ pan…$80.00 (approx. 40 tacos: comes with Corn and/or flour tortillas, lettuce, tomato, homemade salsa).
- Roasted/Grilled Bone-In or Boneless Pork Center loin…$95.00* (3-4lbs of pork loin with roasted potatoes, carrots and mushrooms)
- Roasted/Grilled Leg of Lamb…$90.00* (3-5lbs boneless or bone-in leg of lamb with roasted potatoes, carrots and celery prepared Greek style)
- Italian Beef, ½ pan…$65.00* (roasted beef pulled apart for sandwiches with AU JUS, with sweet peppers and onions)
- Melissa’s Chicken Soup…$25.00* (1 quart)
- Greek Salad, ½ pan…$45.00* (tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, feta and kalamata olives with homemade Greek dressing)
***We can cater your next event/party/wedding/corporate event, just give us a call at 630-877-7718***
Let us know what y’all think.
Thank you for supporting our small family ranch,
Gus, Melissa, Niko, Nina Athanasopoulos