Happy April! Oops, we completely skipped that newsletter. HAPPY MAY Y’ALL, Warmer weather is finally upon us we think/hope.
Ranch Happenings: SAVE THE DATE: We have finally found a time to reschedule the Happy Life Ranch open house. Sunday, July 11th 1pm-7pm. Come hang out and feel free to bring a friend, meet other CSA members, swim, see the farm/animals. Please email us by July 1st to let us know you’re coming so we can be sure to have enough food. See additional flyer and/or Facebook for details.
We have improved the road back to the barn and the property is looking nicer every day. We joke that we spent the first 5 years here destroying the place and now we’re putting it all back together. Just because it’s a farm doesn’t mean it has to be ugly. Gus and Niko have run electricity outside the barn under the porch and now we have a lovely sitting area even if it rains. Melissa has always been into “alternative” medicines/self care products and she’s now diving into learning about herbs. This means the lawn won’t exactly look manicured as just about every weed out there has now been deemed useful. (as if our lawn ever did)
Gus is enjoying the fruits of this already with the sea of dandelions around. He loves his greens, called Horta in Greek and Melissa is already making teas, dandelion honey and hopefully jelly and wine in the future.
Last time we told you that the sows were with babies and it appears we may have been mistaken. Fingers still crossed that we see some piglet this month or early June. There are now four girls in with Boris and they all seem to get along well.
Rancher Gus, Farmer Joel and Farmer Andy from Gatto Family Farms have been working away on the new hoop house that the chickens will move to. We just need a couple no-wind days to get it completed. Once that’s finished, we can move the girls and their two roosters. Then we will start working on a fenced in pasture area for the chickens to still free range and we’ll add some goats to the mix. Melissa especially can’t wait to see goats roaming around out here as opposed to off site at another farm.
We have been inundated with eggs these past two months so there should be no shortage there for the foreseeable future.
The kids are almost done with school for the year and for Niko, he will be graduating! Momma is feeling emotional about this, he’s grown into such an amazing young man. Nina will be a senior next year and has already started applying for scholarships and looking at colleges. Where does the time go?
FARMERS MARKETS We will be attending the Beecher Farmers Market which kicks off May 8th this year. It is every second and 4th Saturday of the month on Route 1. 625 Dixie Hwy, Beecher IL We serve lunch and as always you can pick up meat and eggs and possibly some of Oily Wife Happy Life apothecary items. Lots of food, handmade items, honey and more. We will also be attending the Cedar Lake Farmers Market which kicks off May 12th 3pm-8pm. This market is huge and there’s sure to be something for everyone. Food, music and more. 7408 Constitution Ave Cedar Lake IN.
DOG FOOD: The very short wait list is getting shorter as we work out how much we need so if you would like to add it let us know. Pricing: Beef- $7.25/lb. Boar- $5.25/lb. Turkey- $5.25/lb
Veggie CSA: The Gattos veggies are coming along beautifully. Some slots are still available for their CSA. Feel free to contact Janet directly with any questions. 708-359-4449.
As always, we appreciate your support so much. Eat well, stay well.
Ready! Set! Eat! Meal
Email your order to email@example.com 3 days in advance of when you need it. We will have it ready for you to pick up between 4PM – 6PM.
Provide Name, Full Address, phone number and email address. We will send you an invoice through quickbooks.
- Full Slab Baby Back Ribs… $60.00*(1 full slab (each slab is 2-3 pounds), 16 ounces of fresh homemade Cole slaw and cornbread)
- Chicken Cacciatore…1/2 PAN…$40.00* (1 pound of spaghetti, 7 pieces of chicken and a container of sauce) FULL PAN…$75.00* (2 pounds of spaghetti, 14 pieces of chicken and a container of sauce)
- SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS, ½ pan…$55.00* (sausage, green peppers and onions prepared Greek style with rice pilaf)
- Greek Chicken…$60.00*(whole chicken with roasted potatoes, carrots and celery)
- Steak Fajitas, ½ pan…$70.00* (grilled steak with sweet peppers and onions)
- Steak Tacos, ½ pan…$85.00 (approx. 40 tacos: comes with Corn and/or flour tortillas, cilantro, onion, homemade salsa).
- Shredded Chicken Taco, ½ pan…$85.00 (approx. 40 tacos: comes with Corn and/or flour tortillas, cilantro, onion, homemade salsa).
- Ground Beef Tacos, ½ pan…$80.00 (approx. 40 tacos: comes with Corn and/or flour tortillas, lettuce, tomato, homemade salsa).
- Roasted/Grilled Bone-In or Boneless Pork Center loin…$75.00* (3-4lbs of pork loin with roasted potatoes, carrots and mushrooms)
- Roasted/Grilled Leg of Lamb…$80.00* (3-5lbs boneless or bone-in leg of lamb with roasted potatoes, carrots and celery prepared Greek style)
- Italian Beef, ½ pan…$60.00* (roasted beef pulled apart for sandwiches with AU JUS, with sweet peppers and onions)
- Melissa’s Chicken Soup…$25.00* (1 quart)
- Greek Salad, ½ pan…$30.00* (tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, feta and kalamata olives with homemade Greek dressing)
***We can cater your next event, just give us a call at 630-877-7718***
Let us know what y’all think.
Thank you for supporting our small family ranch,
Gus, Melissa, Niko, Nina Athanasopoulos